Weekly Update - Friday 7th October
Our week started with a visit from Bob Hartman, who enthralled the children with his enthusiasm in his telling of Bible stories and some of Aesop's fables.
Weekly Update from Mr Burkinshaw
Our week started with a visit from Bob Hartman, the Christian storyteller and writer. His infectious enthusiasm and storytelling gifts enthralled the children from Nursery to Year 6, as he told them stories from the Bible and some of Aesop’s fables. It was lovely to discover that Bob wrote the version of the Bible used by Open the Book, the team of volunteers from local churches that perform Bible stories to the children every Thursday.
All children enjoy hearing stories told or read to them. We know that as children get older parents often stop reading to them, as the focus becomes more hearing them read. However, both remain vital. Regularly reading to a child helps them to access books they can’t yet read themselves, favourite parts or phrases from books can build shared memories and helps them build a lifelong love of reading for pleasure. Do try and read regularly to your child, whether they are in Nursery or Year 6.
One of the joys of our school is the breadth of nationalities represented by the children. On Monday 17th October, we are excited to be having a World Day, where children can come in dressed in the traditional clothes of a country they have a link to, or a country of their choice. Do see the curriculum emails for more information.
We are looking forward to seeing you at our virtual parents’ evenings this half-term. If you have not yet done so, please do book your online appointments via SchoolCloud.
Key Updates for Parents
Please note that the survey sent our via ParentMail closes today - do please take the time to complete this survey to help us make our school the best it can be.
Friday 14th October - Infant and Junior Discos
Next Friday are the PTA Infant and Junior discos in the Junior hall. The Infant disco is at 3:30-5:00 p.m. and the Junior at 5:30-7:00 p.m. Please note that if your child normally goes to Connect, they will not be able to drop off or pick up your child. In the past, parents have been able to coordinate together to bring and pick up children.
Birthday Book List
With the start of a new academic year and a new round of birthdays coming up, please don’t forget that you can purchase a book from the birthday book list for your child’s class.
In response to ‘pupil voice’ we are excited to have a World Day on Monday 17th October. Children are welcome to prepare a presentation to share with their class about their own country or a country of their choice. They are also welcome to come in traditional dress from a country of their choice if they would like to. At the Infants we are welcoming parents who would like to share a game or activity from their country. Please contact your class teacher if you would like to do this. A form will also be sent out separately in your curriculum emails today, for parents to complete to give permission for children to take part in the food tasting activities.
PTA Drinks & Nibbles AGM
The PTA would like to invite all parents to join us on Thursday 13th October 8pm for AGM drinks and nibbles (Infant Hall) - meet the PTA team and other parents across the school community and hear all about the highlights and exciting plans for this school year at our annual AGM. It’s a lovely opportunity for the parent community to come together.
Nursery & Reception Tours for Prospective Parents
We have the following tours available for prospective parents looking for a place in Reception:
- Thursday 13th October @ 9:30 a.m.
- Thursday 20th October @ 10.30 a.m.
- Thursday 10th November @ 9:30 a.m.
- Monday 21st November @ 5:00 p.m.
- Thursday 24th November @ 9:30 a.m.
Nursery tours are available on Tuesday 18th October and Tuesday 1st November @ 9:30 a.m.
Teaching Assistant Job Vacancies
Are you an enthusiastic teaching assistant who has a passion for learning, will put the needs of our children first and has excellent interpersonal skills? Are you a flexible and confident team player who has experience of working in school settings? Then we have the job for you. You would be supporting children’s learning, assisting the class teachers and helping to make and maintain a positive, organised and efficient environment. For more details see the school website.
Raring2go! Kingston & Merton Autumn Magazine
Please see this link for the Raring2go! Kingston and Merton Autumn magazine, packed with information on days out, half term activities, and a look ahead to Christmas, as Santa and festive productions get booked early.
Key Dates - Autumn 2022
- Thursday 13th October - Reception Tour for Prospective Parents @ 9:30 a.m.
- Thursday 13th October - PTA Drinks & Nibbles ATM in Infant Hall @ 8:00 p.m.
- Friday 14th October - PTA Disco’s Infants followed by Juniors
- Monday 17th October - Whole School - World Day
- Tuesday 18th October - Nursery Tour for Prospective Parents @ 9:30 a.m.
- Tuesday 18th October - Y6 Parents’ Evening - 4:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
- Wednesday 19th October - Y5 Trip to Hampton Court
- Wednesday 19th October - Nursery - Y5 Parents’ Evening - 4:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
- Thursday 20th October - Reception Tour for Prospective Parents @ 10:30 a.m.
- Thursday 20th October - Nursery - Y6 Parents’ Evening - 3:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. (School closes 1 hour early)
- Friday 21st October - Inset Day (School closed)
- Monday 24th - Friday 28th October - Half Term
- Tuesday 1st November - Nursery Tour for Prospective Parents @ 9:30 a.m.
- Thursday 10th November - Reception Tour for Prospective Parents @ 9:30 a.m.
- Thursday 10th November - Whole School - Learning Look @ 5:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
- Sunday 13th - Remembrance Day Parade - 9.00am
- Wednesday 16th November - Reception - Y6 Individual Photographs
- Monday 21st November - Reception Tour for Prospective Parents @ 5:00 p.m.
- Wednesday 23rd November - Y1-6 Author Visit (Banji Alexander)
- Thursday 24th November - Reception Tour for Prospective Parents @ 9:30 a.m.
- Tuesday 6th December - Christmas Music Concert
- Wednesday 7th December - Christmas Music Concert (reserve date)
- Friday 9th December - Christmas Jumper Day
- Thursday 15th December - Christmas Party Day
- Friday 16th December - Christmas Service at the church - 9:45 a.m. - 10:45 a.m.
- Friday 16th December - Last day of term - School closes 1 hour early:
- Infants @ 2:15 p.m.
- Nursery @ 2:20 p.m.
- Junirs @ 2:30 p.m.
- Cnnect will start at 2:15 p.m. and run until 5:15 p.m.