Weekly Update - Friday 28th April
Squirrel class led a great celebration of their learning yesterday in their class worship, using song to share their science knowledge.
Weekly Update from Mr Meehan
It’s been an inspired week of getting out and about this week, including Year 3 out at the Natural History museum on Tuesday, which included a fully immersive submarine experience, which I know was a highlight. Year 4 were out at the beautiful and historic All Saints Church in Kingston on Wednesday and enjoyed finding out more about the history and the use of the organ in the church - and of course hearing it played in all its glory! Our Year 2s had a day out to Wisley yesterday. Squirrel class led a great celebration of their learning yesterday as well in their class worship, using song to share their science knowledge. Do have a look at our April Newsletter, where you can see pictures of these activities and more.
We are also all looking forward to next week’s Coronation celebrations. You may already be busy working on your show-stopper cupcakes for the picnic competition! The winning hamper, provided by the PTA, will be a fantastic prize for the crowned top baker and, in the absence of Paul Hollywood and Prue Leith, we have lined up two of our governors to be our esteemed judges.
Can I also lead another plea for any parents, grandparents, aunties, etc, who may like to come in even just one hour a week and hear some of our children read. The more opportunities that children - of all primary ages - get to sit down and enjoy books with an adult - the better this is for their reading and, indeed, accessing the whole curriculum. Do contact the school office if you or somebody you know might be just the person for this.
Don’t forget it’s a three-day weekend! We look forward to seeing most classes back at school next Tuesday and all classes on Wednesday. Be reminded that due to teacher strike action, Turtle, Tiger, Gazelle and Antelope classes are closed on Tuesday.
Our School Updates for Parents
Gates It is important that children arrive at school in time to start learning. We have reviewed the time of the gates opening and the infant site to make it more consistent with the juniors. Once infant children are in school, they should go straight to their classroom, they must not play on any equipment.
08:50 a.m. (instead of 8:45 a.m.)
KS2 SATS - Test Administrators - VOLUNTEERS STILL NEEDED Year 6 sit their SATS in English and maths from Tuesday 9th May to Friday 12th May. We need two adults in each room each day, one is always a member of school staff and one a volunteer. Please complete the form sent via ParentMail if you are able to volunteer on any or all of the days. Training and refreshments will be provided.
Volunteers Needed Urgently for Year 4 Trip on Tuesday 2nd May
Year 4 have a trip booked to the Natural History Museum next Tuesday and we still need two more volunteers to accompany Macaw Class. We cannot run this trip without volunteers so if anyone is able to help, please contact the school office today - firstname.lastname@example.org. They will be going by train from New Malden Station, leaving school after registration and will get back to school by 3.30pm.
Coronation Menu - 4th May
In celebration of the coronation of King Charles III, Nourish catering will be providing a special menu on Thursday 4th May. A copy of the menu is attached for your information.
Friday 19th May: Break the Rules day!
For one day only, children can break some rules! Come to school with wacky hair, crazy socks, painted nails and temporary tattoos and pay your teacher 50p for each rule you break! See attached poster for information on all the rules that can be broken.
STEM Lunch and Learn - Volunteers Needed
We're hosting a series of STEM Lunch and Learn events where parents with STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) expertise share their experiences with the children. If you work or volunteer in a relevant sector we would love to hear from you. Please email the school office with your name, role/profession and they will contact you with more information. Do also pass this invitation to anyone you know who might be able to help. Help inspire our future innovators!
Thank you to those parents/carers who are already giving monthly to support our school through our Governors’ Fund. If you have not yet done so, please consider setting up a regular monthly payment. Please look at our flyer regarding our Governors’ Fund which gives you more detail about how this fund has the power to transform our school further and details of how you could be part of it. We know these are challenging times for many of us, but in order to ensure we can make our school the best that it can be, then please do consider carefully what and how you could contribute. In these times of increasingly stretched schools’ funding, we need your help to ensure we have enough resources to keep making wonderful school experiences happening for our children at Christ Church! Thank you.
Wider Community Updates
New Malden Coronation Celebration Event - Monday 8th May
New Malden Town Centre Partnership wishes to warmly invite you to come along and enjoy their King’s Coronation Celebration Event on Bank Holiday Monday 8th May, 11am to 5pm at Jubilee Square, Cocks Crescent, New Malden, KT3 4AJ. Please see the attached flyer for details.
Ultimate Activity Camps - Holy Cross Prep School
Ultimate Activity Camps provide activity day camps for children aged 4-14 during the school holidays. Children will enjoy a fantastic range of over 40 sports, games and art activities every week led by engaging staff at amazing locations. Running this Summer at Holy Cross Prep School. Book by Tuesday 6th June to save up £20 a week on all Summer dates! Please see the attached for more information on their summer and tech camps.
Key School Dates
- Monday 1st May - Bank Holiday
- Tuesday 2nd May - Y4 Trip to Natural History Museum
- Friday 5th May - PTA - A Royal Knees Up Dress Up Day
- Monday 8th May - Bank Holiday for King’s Coronation
- Tuesday 9th May - Y5 Trip to BFI Imax Cinema “A Beautiful Planet”
- Saturday 13th May - Junior Choir at Wimbledon Singfest
- Tuesday 16th May - Reception - National Child Measurement Programme
- Wednesday 17th May - Whole School Class Photographs
- Thursday 18th May - Eagle Class Worship @ 2:45pm
- Thursday 18th May - Y5 & 6 Online & Personal Safety talks by Met Police
- Friday 19th May - Reception & Y1 Peter Pan Workshop
- Friday 19th May - PTA ‘Break the Rules’ Day
- Monday 22nd - Friday 26th May - Chums Week
- Monday 22nd May - Y3 Visit to Central Gurdwara
- Wednesday 24th May - Gazelle Class French Breakfast @ 9:00am
- Thursday 25th May - Antelope Class French Breakfast @ 9:00am
- Thursday 25th May - Junior Skateboarding Workshop
- Friday 26th May - Junior Skateboarding Workshop
- Friday 26th May - Y1 Trip to Painshill Park
- Monday 29th May - Friday 2nd June - Half Term
- Thursday 8th June - Turtle Class Worship @ 2:45pm
- Saturday 10th June - PTA Summer Fair
- Monday 12th - Friday 16th June - Y6 Trip to Westbrook, Isle of Wight
- Wednesday 21st June - Y5 & Y6 Choir - KMS Primary Singing Festival @ Rose Theatre
- Thursday 22nd June - Y6 Trip to Kew Gardens
- Friday 23rd June - INSET Day (School closed to pupils)
- Monday 26th - Friday 30th June - Wellbeing Week
- Tuesday 27th June - Junior Concert @ 7:00pm
- Wednesday 28th June - Year 3 - Hogsmill River Walks
- Thursday 29th June - Seahorse Class Worship @ 2:45pm
- Friday 30th June - Infant Sports Day
- Tuesday 4th July - Country Dancing Festival at Kingsmeadow
- Wednesday 5th July - Y6 Visit New School Day
- Thursday 6th July - Y6 Trip to Polka Theatre
- Friday 7th July - Junior Sports Day
- Monday 10th - Friday 14th July - Chums Week
- Tuesday 11th July - Nursery & Reception - Teddy Bears Picnic Show
- Wednesday 12th July - Y6 Trip to Houses of Parliament
- Friday 14th July - Y6 Trip to Houses of Parliament
- Friday 21st July - Term finishes at 1:15pm (infants) and 1:30pm (juniors)