Weekly Update - Friday 5th May
Year 4 had an explosive trip to the Natural History Museum on Tuesday, learning all about earthquakes and volcanoes!
Weekly Update from Mr Meehan
It’s been a slightly shorter week, but we have certainly crammed lots in! For example, our Year 4 children enjoyed their trip to the Natural History Museum on Tuesday, learning all about earthquakes and volcanoes.
Myself and Mr Burkinshaw spent time in junior classrooms on Wednesday morning this week to see the English and maths learning going on in the school. It was lovely to see children enjoying their learning, and learning new skills, such as adding non-unit fractions or extending the use of conjunctions. It is of course SATs week next week for all our Year 6 pupils, we wish them all the best and look forward to welcoming them for breakfast each morning to start the day right!
Congratulations to our Year 2 footballers, who played Corpus Christi earlier in the week; it was a very close match and I know they were happy to score a narrow 3-2 victory. Our Year 1 girls’ team should also be congratulated for their participation in the football festival on Wednesday at Richmond & Kew Football Club. Well done to all involved.
Ahead of tomorrow’s Coronation, it has been great to have our own day of celebration today at school, and see some fantastic outfits and costumes, and lots of red, white and blue! We are looking forward to this afternoon’s Coronation picnic and to seeing all the entries for our Coronation Cupcake Competition. My thanks to the PTA for organising a prize for this afternoon’s competition and serving tea and coffee. My thanks to governors and Christ Church Youth and Families Worker, Nathan Larkin, for stepping up to be our “cake off” judges!
I hope you and your family enjoy this Coronation weekend, whatever you may be up to, and we will see you all back next Tuesday.
Our School Updates for Parents
You may recall we shared with you last term our new class mixing protocol. You will be notified today if your child’s year group will be mixed for September. If you do not receive any communication, your child’s year group will not be mixed this year.
School Prayer Group
Our school prayer group, which meets at the church (Christ Church), is meeting again on Wed 17th May at 8pm; this prayer group is open to staff, parents and members of the church, and all are welcome to gather to pray for our school.
Class Photographs - Wednesday 17th May
Pret-a-Portrait will be taking class photographs at our school on both sites on Wednesday 17th May 2023. Please ensure your child is wearing full school uniform. No P.E. kit should be worn; children will be able to do P.E. in their uniform on this day and can bring in trainers to change into.
Friday 19th May: Break the Rules day!
For one day only, children can break some rules! Come to school with wacky hair, crazy socks, painted nails and temporary tattoos and pay your teacher 50p for each rule you break! See attached poster for information on all the rules that can be broken.
Wider Community Updates
Half Term Picnic Workshop - 1st June
For details of a half term picnic workshop run by Nikki’s Kitchen, please see the attached poster.
May Half Term - Swimming Crash Course
Please see the attached poster for details of a May half term swimming crash course taking place at Grand Avenue Primary.
Young Scientist Event for Children - 1st & 2nd June
The Developing Minds Lab in the Department of Psychology at Kingston University London is running a Young Scientist Event for children aged 4-11 in half-term on 1st and 2nd June. Please see the attached flyer for details and you can find further information about the event and register at this link.
Key School Dates
- Monday 8th May - Bank Holiday for King’s Coronation
- Tuesday 9th May - Y5 Trip to BFI Imax Cinema “A Beautiful Planet”
- Saturday 13th May - Junior Choir at Wimbledon Singfest
- Tuesday 16th May - Reception - National Child Measurement Programme
- Wednesday 17th May - Whole School Class Photographs
- Thursday 18th May - Eagle Class Worship @ 2:45pm
- Thursday 18th May - Y5 & 6 Online & Personal Safety talks by Met Police
- Friday 19th May - Reception & Y1 Peter Pan Workshop
- Friday 19th May - PTA ‘Break the Rules’ Day
- Monday 22nd - Friday 26th May - Chums Week
- Monday 22nd May - Y3 Visit to Central Gurdwara
- Wednesday 24th May - Gazelle Class French Breakfast @ 9:00am
- Thursday 25th May - Antelope Class French Breakfast @ 9:00am
- Thursday 25th May - Junior Skateboarding Workshop
- Friday 26th May - Junior Skateboarding Workshop
- Friday 26th May - Y1 Trip to Painshill Park
- Monday 29th May - Friday 2nd June - Half Term
- Thursday 8th June - Turtle Class Worship @ 2:45pm
- Saturday 10th June - PTA Summer Fair
- Monday 12th - Friday 16th June - Y6 Trip to Westbrook, Isle of Wight
- Wednesday 21st June - Y5 & Y6 Choir - KMS Primary Singing Festival @ Rose Theatre
- Thursday 22nd June - Y6 Trip to Kew Gardens
- Friday 23rd June - INSET Day (School closed to pupils)
- Monday 26th - Friday 30th June - Wellbeing Week
- Tuesday 27th June - Junior Concert @ 7:00pm
- Wednesday 28th June - Year 3 - Hogsmill River Walks
- Thursday 29th June - Seahorse Class Worship @ 2:45pm
- Friday 30th June - Infant Sports Day
- Tuesday 4th July - Country Dancing Festival at Kingsmeadow
- Wednesday 5th July - Y6 Visit New School Day
- Thursday 6th July - Y6 Trip to Polka Theatre
- Friday 7th July - Junior Sports Day
- Monday 10th - Friday 14th July - Chums Week
- Tuesday 11th July - Nursery & Reception - Teddy Bears Picnic Show
- Wednesday 12th July - Y6 Trip to Houses of Parliament
- Friday 14th July - Y6 Trip to Houses of Parliament
- Friday 21st July - Term finishes at 1:15pm (infants) and 1:30pm (juniors)