Weekly Update - Thursday 22nd June
On Wednesday our Year 3 boys took part in a football tournament at Richmond and Kew Football Ground, showing excellent sportsmanship and playing some good quality football.
Weekly Update from Mr Meehan
As is often the case at this time of year, there are a large number of exciting events going on, and this week has been no exception! It’s always great chatting at the headteacher tea parties to our latest pupils of the week and finding out about their recent achievements.
Congrats to the choir, fresh from their summer fair gig, who were singing their hearts out at the Kingston music festival at the Rose Theatre this Wednesday afternoon at what was a brilliant event.
We also have the local schools’ infant and junior outdoor swimming galas today - and the weather is smiling on us for this! Earlier on this week, our Year 3 boys took part in a football tournament at Richmond and Kew Football Ground, showing excellent sportsmanship and playing some good quality football.
It’s certainly a sporty time, and we start them young, as was on display on our super Rainbow Nursery sports day last Friday, in which children had a chance to show off their skills and have some sporty fun. Please note the details of our infant and junior sports days below, coming up over the next two weeks.
Additional to all these events, we also had our termly visit this week at school from our local authority’s ‘school improvement partner’. This visit, which included visits into classrooms to see phonics and English lessons, was extremely encouraging, as he could see the lovely purposeful atmosphere in the school and our high expectations for children’s achievement. He was very complimentary about all the progress made over the year, so we can all be proud of this, not least of all, the children themselves.
Don’t forget tomorrow is an INSET day! Enjoy your (slightly longer) weekend, and we’ll see you back next week, with not much breathing space between further exciting school events to look forward to.
Our School Updates for Parents
Pupils of the Week will return again next Friday 30th June.
Times of School Day from September
To ensure we are in line with the DFE expectation for all schools to provide at least 32.5 hours per week schooling, please note that, from September 2023, our proposed new start and end times will be as follows:
Infants: Start time - 8.35 a.m. (gates to open from 8.25am)
End time - 3.10 p.m.
Juniors*: Start time - 8.45a.m. (gates to open from 8.35am)
End time - 3.20 p.m.
Our nursery sessions will be mornings: 8.35 a.m. - 11.35 a.m. and afternoons: 12.10 p.m. - 3.10 p.m.
* Please note that the junior teaching day is not being slightly shortened. Rather, it is actually being slightly lengthened. This is because, in line with most primary school day timetables, there is no longer a timetabled playtime in the afternoon in the juniors (this will, however, be retained in the infants).
Free Parent Workshop: Supporting Children with Sleep
The Mental Health Support Team (MHST) from Achieving for Children will be running a sleep workshop open to all parents of infant and junior children, on Tuesday 11th July, 2pm at the Junior site. It will end in time for infant parents to be able to pick up at the usual time. The workshop will cover information and strategies on the importance of sleep; supporting children with healthy sleep habits and managing common sleep difficulties. There is no need to register and you can just turn up on the day, however to give us an indication of numbers, we would be grateful if you could fill in the form sent via ParentMail if you intend to attend.
Infant Sports Day - Friday 30th June
Please see below an outline of times for the infant sports day, which will be held at the Infant site. Parents are invited to come and watch:
- Reception: 9:00 a.m. - 9:55 a.m.
- Year 1: 10:05 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
- Year 2: 11:10 a.m. - 12:05 p.m
Junior Sports Day - Friday 7th July
Please see below an outline of times for the junior sports day, which will be held on the school playing field. Parents are invited to come and watch:
- Years 3 and 4: 9.15 a.m. - approximately 10.20 a.m.
- Years 5 and 6: 10.45 a.m. - approximately 11.50 a.m.
More details will follow next week.
Strike Action You may be aware that the NEU have announced another two days of strike action for July - 5th and 7th July. Please note that all our classes will be open on these days except Turtle class, closed on Wednesday only, and Tiger class, closed on both days. Please note that children in Tiger class can still attend for the duration of their Sports Day on 7th (until 10.20am), so that the children do not miss out on this event.
Wider Community Updates
Tech Summer Camp - 24th July - 11th August
Please see the attached poster for details of how to book a place at a Tech Summer Camp, being held at our Junior site this summer and run by Next Thing Education.
Clarks Measure and Fit Appointment Service
Clarks have asked that we remind parents of the Clarks Measure and Fit Appointment service as you start to think about school uniform shopping for the new school year. Skip the queues and book a 15 minute measure and fit appointment at a designated time to suit you. They are also extending their opening hours throughout August and the first week of September. They are taking bookings now for July & August and are filling up fast so book early! https://www.clarks.co.uk/measureandfit-in-store or call Clarks Kingston on 0208 546 0388. Please see the attached flyer for more information.
Key School Dates
- Friday 23rd June - INSET Day (School closed to pupils)
- Monday 26th - Friday 30th June - Wellbeing Week
- Tuesday 27th June - Junior Concert @ 7:00pm
- Wednesday 28th June - Y3 Hogsmill River Walks
- Thursday 29th June - Seahorse Class Worship @ 2:45pm
- Friday 30th June - Infant Sports Day
- Tuesday 4th July - Y5 Rhythm of the Word Concert @ Rose Theatre
- Tuesday 4th July - Y4 Country Dancing Festival at Kingsmeadow
- Wednesday 5th July - Y6 Visit New School Day
- Wednesday 5th July - Y4 Celebration Evening @ 3:30pm - 7:30pm
- Thursday 6th July - Y6 Trip to Polka Theatre
- Friday 7th July - Junior Sports Day
- Monday 10th - Friday 14th July - Chums Week
- Tuesday 11th July - Nursery & Reception - Teddy Bears Picnic Show
- Wednesday 12th July - Kipling Trip to Houses of Parliament
- Wednesday 12th July - Y6 Production @ 4:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Friday 14th July - Potter Trip to Houses of Parliament
- Thursday 13th July - Y6 Production @ 6:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
- Monday 17th July - Y2 Production @ 2:00 p.m.
- Tuesday 18th July - Y2 Production @ 5:00 p.m.
- Friday 21st July - Term finishes at 1:15pm (infants) and 1:30pm (juniors)