Weekly Parent Update - Friday 22nd September
Part of the richness of our curriculum is a commitment to trips and visits, and we’ve started the year with Fox class visiting Pizza Express and our Year 1s today at the Natural History Museum
Weekly Update from Mr Meehan
It’s been an exciting, busy week at Christ Church this week, with some comings and goings … Part of the richness of our curriculum is a commitment to trips and visits, and we’ve started the year with Fox class visiting Pizza Express and our Year 1s today at the Natural History Museum. I know our Year 5s are looking forward to their Carroty Wood residential trip next week, which is a great time of fun and collaboration for the whole year group. We also all enjoyed a visiting clarinet band, who performed for both infants and juniors in the school on Tuesday.
In this new term, we have been welcoming a number of new families and children to our school, and it is always a pleasure to see how quickly the children settle in and how welcoming our children are of new joiners. Our ‘Christ Church Chums’ scheme is another way in which we create a family feel and we are looking forward to bringing the whole school community together for the first time this academic year in a couple of weeks for our Harvest celebration at the church.
As a new year begins, we are outlining our ‘school improvement plan’ headlines for the year, which you can find here. You’ll see that one of these priorities is about improving further our school environment, and you can see below that we’d love your help with this. Our wonderful PTA also raise lots of funds to contribute to our environment looking great for the children, so you can also help by supporting this collective aim!
Though the hours of daylight are decreasing as we move into Autumn, I hope you have a good weekend and get out and about in the sunshine when you can.
Our School Updates for Parents
Please see below the timings for our online parents’ evenings on 18th and 19th October:
- Wednesday 18th October - 3:45 - 6:45 pm
- Thursday 19th October - 2:45 - 5:45 pm
Please note, in order to accommodate the earlier start of Parents' Evening on Thursday 19th, school will close 1 hour earlier than usual at the following times:
- Infants @ 2:05 p.m.
- Juniors @ 2:20 p.m.
- Connect will start early @ 2:05 p.m. and run until the usual time of 6:15 p.m.
Instructions for booking appointments will be emailed to parents/carers in due course.
Part of having high expectations of children is having high standards for their uniform and appearance. We do have clear expectations of uniform and do ask that parents will support their children in meeting them. There are a few specific things we want to remind parents of from our school uniform policy:
- Children should wear black shoes that support their feet. Trainers can be worn, but they must be black (including the sole) with no visible logos. If your child’s current footwear does not currently meet this description, we would ask that these expectations are borne in mind in your next purchase of your child’s school shoes.
- The only jewellery permitted in school is small stud earrings for those pupils with pierced ears and they should not be worn for PE.
- Hair that is shoulder length or longer must be tied back. If a child does not have their hair tied back, they will be asked to tie it back at school, with an elastic band if they do not have a hair band.
Opportunity to join our team!
We are looking for a part-time Pastoral Mentor (KS2) to work at the junior site. Please see the advert here. The deadline for applications for this is Wednesday 27th September. If this is of interest, please speak to Alex Roe, SENCO/Inclusion lead in the first instance.
Interested in joining a working party?
We are aiming to continue further improvements to outdoor areas on both sites this year. In order to help us get some things moving, we wondered whether any parents might be interested in joining a working party, maybe working on a particular project for a few hours (or whatever you can), maybe on a Saturday or Sunday. To begin with, we are thinking about -
- repainting the playground brick wall across the back of the infant playground
- clearing and tidying the infant pond area
If you are interested in being included in these and/or future working parties, please email your interest to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll keep you posted when organising specific dates/tasks.
We have recently found a couple of dropped vapes on our infant playground. Please be reminded that vaping is not allowed on our school site and, if you are carrying one in your pocket, please be careful not to drop it on our premises. Thank you for your cooperation with this.
Wider Community Updates
Kingston Rock Project
The Rock Project is a nationwide music school teaching 7 - 18 year olds how to play instruments, jam with a band, and at the end of the year perform at a concert for family and friends. Their aim is to not only teach music but also build confidence and improve self-esteem. They’re opening their first Kingston Rock Project at Richard Challoner School in New Malden on Tuesday 3rd October. They offer a free taster session for all students as well as providing instruments for those who don't have them. Please see the attached flyer for more information.
Perform Drama - Free Trial Session and £40 discount
Popular children's drama and dance school Perform is offering a Free Trial Session and a special introductory discount of £40 for members of Christ Church New Malden School if they sign up by Wednesday 24th January. Parents should quote CHCH240124 when they book their free session by going to perform.org.uk/try or calling 020 7255 9120.
Mother Nature Science - October Half-Term Camp
Please see the attached flyer from Ourcamps for details of their exciting camp at Alexandra Primary over the October Half term.
Free Netball Trial
Sisters n Sport are offering a free trial for their netball club at Holy Cross Preparatory School this Saturday 23rd September, 9am-10am for children in Yrs 1-4. Please see the attached flyer for details.
The Corinthian Casuals Soccer School
The Corinthian Casuals Soccer School for 4-5 year-olds (Reception & Year 1) gives boys & girls the opportunity to love, learn and play football in a safe, positive learning environment teaching high quality football skills. Sessions take place on grass pitches at Corinthian Casuals Football Club, Queen Marys Close, Hook Rise South, Tolworth, KT6 7NA. The sessions are on Saturday morning at 8.30-9.30am and cost £5 per session on a pay-as-you-go basis. There is a free car park available at the Club.
They are also looking for boys and girls in Year 2 to join their U7 Football Team which trains on Wednesday evening and plays in matches in the Surrey Youth League on Sundays. Visit their website for details.
Chelsea FC Foundation - Girls Only Kingston Foundation Skills Centre
CFCF have opened a girls only Kingston Foundation Skills Centre for players of all abilities to develop their skills, keep fit and make new friends in a safe environment. Players will get the opportunity to experience technical sessions led by their CFC Foundation coaches along with many fun and exciting challenges. If this is of interest, please see the details below for September dates:
- Age Groups: U7-U11 (School Year 2-6)
- Venue: Nonsuch High School, Ewell Road, Cheam SM3 8AB
- Day and Times: Thursdays | 18:30-19:30
- Surface: Astro
- What to Bring: Football Astro trainers, SHIN PADS, raincoat and plenty to drink
- SESSION DATES (Thursdays): 21st & 28th September
- Course Code: PDP-NHS-KT-2
Key School Dates
- Monday 25th & 26th September – Junior Road Watch (am)
- Wednesday 27th – Friday 29th September – Y5 Trip to Carroty Wood
- Wednesday 27th September – Infant Nasal Flu Immunisations
- Friday 29th September - Y2 Trip to Science Museum
- Tuesday 3rd October – Hedgehog class trip to Pizza Express
- Wednesday 4th October – Junior Nasal Flu Immunisations
- Wednesday 4th October - Church and school prayer group @8pm
- Thursday 5th October - Y6 Trip to Imperial War Museum
- Friday 6th October – Harvest Service
- Tuesday 10th October - Reception Tour for Prospective Parents @ 9:30am
- Monday 16th – Friday 20th October – Chums Week
- Tuesday 17th October - Nursery Tour for Prospective Parents @ 9:30am
- Wednesday 18th October - Parents’ Evening - 3:45 – 6:45pm
- Thursday 19th October - School finishes 1 hour early @ 2:05p.m. (infants), 2:20 p.m. (juniors) and Connect 6:15 p.m.
- Thursday 19th October – Parents’ Evening - 2:45 - 5:45pm
- Friday 20th October - Reception Tour for Prospective Parents @ 9:30am
- Friday 20th October - Y5 Trip to Hampton Court
- Monday 23rd – Friday 27th October – Half Term
- Wednesday 8th November – Reception – Y6 Individual Photographs & Sibling Photographs
- Thursday 9th November - Reception Tour for Prospective Parents @ 9:30am
- Thursday 9th November – Leopard Class Worship @ 2:45pm
- Friday 10th November – Soloists Concert @ 9am
- Sunday 12th November - Remembrance Day Parade @ 8:45am
- Monday 13th – Friday 17th November – Anti-Bullying Week
- Monday 13th – Friday 17th November - Y4 Bikeability
- Monday 13th November – Y1 Pollock’s Toy Museum Workshop
- Wednesday 22nd November - Reception Tour for Prospective Parents @ 9:30am
- Thursday 23rd November – Learning Look @ 4:30-5:30pm
- Saturday 25th November – PTA Christmas Fair
- Monday 27th November – Friday 1st December – Wellbeing Week
- Thursday 30th November – Antelope Class Worship @ 2:45pm
- Monday 4th December – Y5 Greek Workshop (pm)
- Monday 11th – Friday 15th December – Chums Week
- Tuesday 12th December - Junior Christmas Production @ 4pm
- Wednesday 13th December – Junior Christmas Production @ 6pm
- Thursday 14th December – Reception Nativity @ 9am
- Wednesday 20th December – Church Service @ 9:45am
- Wednesday 20th December – Term finishes @ 1:05p.m. (infants), 1:20 p.m. (juniors) and Connect 5:15 p.m.
- Thursday 21st December – INSET Day (School closed to pupils)
- Friday 22nd December – Friday 5th January – Christmas Holiday
- Monday 8th January – INSET Day (School closed to pupils)
- Tuesday 9th January – Pupils return to school