Weekly Parent Update - Friday 29th September
Year 5 children have been out with the police for ‘Junior Road Watch’ - much needed along Elm Road!
Weekly Update from Mr Meehan
Our Year 5s have been having an action packed time at Carroty Wood this week. They have tackled the high ropes - including the leap of faith - been pedal karting, built shelters in the wood, abseiled down a tower, aimed at targets in archery and swum! They also fitted in time for some tasty meals and some swimming. The trip to Carroty Wood is truly one of the highlights of childrens’ time at Christ Church and we are so glad Year 5 had such a fantastic time this week.
We’ve also had some children out with the police for ‘Junior Road Watch’ - much needed along Elm Road! Our Year 2s are also out and about busy exploring the Science Museum today.
I was also very impressed this week in meeting with our new Year 6 worship leader team, who will be leading some of our assemblies and collective worship over the year. They are very keen and have lots of ideas!
We are also pleased to announce this week that we will be welcoming a new member of our office team, beginning next month. Lori Parkes, as well as being a CCNM parent of many years, comes to us with a wealth of experience and knowledge, and we look forward to her joining our team - so do say hello once she starts!
In the coming weeks, we will be hosting some parent tours for prospective parents looking for a reception or nursery place, advertised on our website and also on this leaflet. We want to show off our lovely school community, so please spread the word, as we look forward to new children and families joining our extended Christ Church family (also see all the dates listed below).
Lastly, if you find your children are singing harvest songs at the moment, this is because we are getting ready for our Harvest service at 9:45am next Friday at the church. All are welcome to come to be part of this special service. In particular, our Year 3 and Year 4 children will be leading parts of the service. It promises to be a lovely whole school celebration of Harvest. We’re also praying for the school and the year ahead next Wednesday, 8pm at Christ Church, if you want to come along and join us.
Have a great weekend!
Our School Updates for Parents
Please can we remind parents that, as we are no longer using the ParentMail absence reporting app, to report your child's absence you will now need to complete this Google absence form which can also be found on our website here. You must complete this form by 9:00 a.m. either each day of absence or advise the school on the first day of absence how long your child will be absent.
Secondary School Application Deadline
Please can we remind Year 6 parents/carers that the deadline for secondary school applications is Tuesday, 31st October. Please remember to complete your on-line application if you haven't already done so. Please go to eAdmissions to apply.
Nursery & Reception Tours for Prospective Parents
We have the following tours available for prospective parents looking for a place in Reception (please call the school office to book on a tour):
- Tuesday, 10th October @ 9.30 a.m.
- Friday, 20th October @ 9.30 a.m.
- Thursday, 9th November @ 9.30 a.m.
- Friday, 17th November @ 9.30 a.m.
- Wednesday, 22nd November @ 9.30 a.m.
Nursery tours are available on:
- Tuesday, 17th October @ 9.30 a.m.
- Tuesday, 14th November @ 9.30 a.m.
- Thursday, 25th January @ 9.30 a.m.
- Tuesday, 20th February @ 9.30 a.m.
Music Soloists Concert - Morning of Friday 10th November (timings to be confirmed)
If your child plays an instrument or sings and they would like to take part, they can send in an audition video to Mrs Bond (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Friday 20th October (but sooner if possible). This will then give the teachers time to look through all of the auditions to choose a variety of performances for the concert, and allow time for rehearsing at school with the piano if needed. Parents will be invited to watch the concert as will the children's chums and class mates.
If your child is choosing a song, please consider the length (maybe stick to one or two verses and a chorus). Also please make sure the lyrics are appropriate and the song can be sung easily by a child (some pop songs are not suitable for young' voices). The children may sing in a group with friends if they can arrange a video audition together.
We will be available to accompany instrumental pieces and songs if needed, but music will need to be provided (or a backing track found).
STEM Lunch and Learn - Volunteers Needed
We're hosting a series of STEM Lunch and Learn events where parents with STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) expertise share their experiences with the children. If you work or volunteer in a relevant sector we would love to hear from you. Please email the school office with your name, role/profession and they will contact you with more information. Do also pass this invitation to anyone you know who might be able to help. Help inspire our future innovators!
Please see below the timings for our online parents’ evenings on 18th and 19th October:
- Wednesday 18th October - 3:45 - 6:45 pm
- Thursday 19th October - 2:45 - 5:45 pm
Please note, in order to accommodate the earlier start of Parents' Evening on Thursday 19th, school will close 1 hour earlier than usual at the following times:
- Infants @ 2:05 p.m.
- Juniors @ 2:20 p.m.
- Connect will start early @ 2:05 p.m. and run until the usual time of 6:15 p.m.
- Junior Drama club and Y3&4 Football club will both run from 2.20pm-3.20pm on Thursday 19th October.
Instructions for booking appointments were emailed to parents/carers yesterday.
Interested in joining a working party?
As mentioned last week, we are aiming to continue further improvements to outdoor areas on both sites this year. In order to help us get some things moving, we wondered whether any parents might be interested in joining a working party, maybe working on a particular project for a few hours (or whatever you can), maybe on a Saturday or Sunday. To begin with, we are thinking about -
- repainting the playground brick wall across the back of the infant playground
- clearing and tidying the infant pond area
If you are interested in being included in these and/or future working parties, please email your interest to email@example.com and we’ll keep you posted when organising specific dates/tasks.
Wider Community Updates
Action Theatre - October Holiday Workshop
Please see the attached flyer for details.
Netball Coach UK - Half Term Netball Camp
Netball Coach UK are running a netball camp at Grey Court School in Richmond upon Thames over half term. Their camps are open to children in School Years 3-10 and are suitable for experienced and aspiring ballers, as well as those new to the game. Book at: https://netballcoachuk.com/camps or see the attached poster for more information.
Autism Survey Invitation
Please see the attached invitation to parents/carers of autistic children to participate in a survey for a research project being undertaken by the University of Surrey.
Key School Dates
- Tuesday 3rd October – Hedgehog class trip to Pizza Express
- Wednesday 4th October – Junior Nasal Flu Immunisations
- Wednesday 4th October - Church and school prayer group @8pm
- Friday 6th October – Harvest Service @ 9:45am at the church
- Tuesday 10th October - Reception Tour for Prospective Parents @ 9:30am
- Monday 16th – Friday 20th October – Chums Week
- Tuesday 17th October - Nursery Tour for Prospective Parents @ 9:30am
- Wednesday 18th October - Parents’ Evening - 3:45 – 6:45pm
- Thursday 19th October - School finishes 1 hour early @ 2:05p.m. (infants), 2:20 p.m. (juniors) and Connect 6:15 p.m.
- Thursday 19th October – Parents’ Evening - 2:45 - 5:45pm
- Friday 20th October - Reception Tour for Prospective Parents @ 9:30am
- Friday 20th October - Y5 Trip to Hampton Court
- Monday 23rd – Friday 27th October – Half Term
- Monday 30th October - Y6 Trip to Imperial War Museum
- Wednesday 8th November – Reception – Y6 Individual Photographs & Sibling Photographs
- Thursday 9th November - Reception Tour for Prospective Parents @ 9:30am
- Thursday 9th November – Leopard Class Worship @ 2:45pm
- Friday 10th November – Soloists Concert @ 9am
- Sunday 12th November - Remembrance Day Parade @ 8:45am
- Monday 13th – Friday 17th November – Anti-Bullying Week
- Monday 13th – Friday 17th November - Y4 Bikeability
- Monday 13th November – Y1 Pollock’s Toy Museum Workshop
- Wednesday 22nd November - Reception Tour for Prospective Parents @ 9:30am
- Thursday 23rd November – Learning Look @ 4:30-5:30pm
- Saturday 25th November – PTA Christmas Fair
- Monday 27th November – Friday 1st December – Wellbeing Week
- Thursday 30th November – Antelope Class Worship @ 2:45pm
- Monday 4th December – Y5 Greek Workshop (pm)
- Monday 11th – Friday 15th December – Chums Week
- Tuesday 12th December - Junior Christmas Production @ 4pm
- Wednesday 13th December – Junior Christmas Production @ 6pm
- Thursday 14th December – Reception Nativity @ 9am
- Wednesday 20th December – Church Service @ 9:45am
- Wednesday 20th December – Term finishes @ 1:05p.m. (infants), 1:20 p.m. (juniors) and Connect 5:15 p.m.
- Thursday 21st December – INSET Day (School closed to pupils)
- Friday 22nd December – Friday 5th January – Christmas Holiday
- Monday 8th January – INSET Day (School closed to pupils)
- Tuesday 9th January – Pupils return to school