Weekly Parent Update - Friday 24th November
It’s been a sporty week, with teams taking part in netball at Green Lane and football at St Joseph’s. A huge congratulations to both teams on their winning performances.
Weekly Update from Mr Meehan
It was great to open our doors for the ‘Learning Look’ last night. Hopefully, you were able to get along and had a chance to chat with your child about some of their learning and see their classrooms. I know many were looking forward to welcoming you in!
My week began with visiting some maths lessons in Year 6, in which the children were tackling long division calculations - not the easiest start to the week, but the children were definitely up for the challenge and impressed me with how they were picking up new methods and concepts! Later in the week, I was sharing my latest book recommendation with some infant classes, reading ‘Hello Autumn’ by Jo Lindley, in which we’re introduced to the main character Autumn and his three other friends (whose names you might be able to guess!).
It’s also been a sporty week, with teams taking part in netball at Green Lane and football at St Joseph’s. A huge congratulations to both teams on their performances. Our Year 6 netballers won their match 13-10 on Tuesday and are now through to the semi finals and our Y5/6 footballers won their game 12-0 and will now play in the quarter finals.
Next week is our termly ‘well-being week’, so you’ll notice your children’s home learning might have a bit of a different feel about it this Friday! Enjoy the different activities. We’ll also be plotting in one or two different kinds of lessons during the week in school of a ‘lighter’ well-being theme.
Every Friday in collective worship, we announce the house points for each house from the week, and over the term, these scores are collated to find out which house, in both the infants and the juniors, have accumulated the most house points. We let the children know today what the end of term house treat will be, which is now planned in the diary for the last Friday of term on 15th December. They might be able to tell you what it is!
I hope to see many of you at our Christmas Fair tomorrow, which promises to be a really festive event, which will definitely get the season started! I know the PTA have been very busy planning lots of Christmas fun for this exciting event, held at the junior site between 1-4pm. See you there!
MRS HONEYBONE RECOMMENDS
Frieda makes a difference - the sustainable development goals and how you can change the world by the United Nations
I came across this book over the summer - it's beautifully illustrated and follows the story of Frieda, who embarks upon an adventure to make the world a better place for everyone. An inspiring read with tips on how to change the world and a reminder that we can all make a difference to the lives of others.
Our School Updates for Parents
‘Giving the Gift of Reading’ evening with Lindsay Pickton
Hopefully by now you will have seen this flyer about our exciting evening coming up for parents led by literacy expert Lindsay Pickton at 6.30pm on Wednesday 6th Dec in the junior hall. Do come along to get some new ideas on promoting reading for pleasure with your child. If you need to book a place for your child in the creche, then please book via the link in the above flyer. There is also a raffle on the night with the chance to win the gift of a book token!
Musical Christmas Events Reminder
- Saturday 25th November - Performances at the Christmas Fair
- 2:10pm Y2 Choir
- 2:30pm Orchestra, Bronze and Gold Recorders
- 3:10pm Junior Choir and Handbells
- Monday 27th November - Y6 Choir singing at John Lewis @ 10:30am
- Thursday 14th December - Year 2/3 choirs are singing at the Methodist church at 10:00am and all are invited to watch / have a cup of tea in the cafe.
- Thursday 7th December - You may wish to do your shopping at Waitrose at 9am when our handbells group will be performing.
Last dates for clubs this term
Please note that the last dates for clubs this term are not all the same week and are as detailed below:
- Infant Dance - Monday 20th November
- Y1 and Y2 Drama - Monday 20th November
- Y3/4 and Y5/6 Chess - Monday 20th November
- Infant Spanish - Monday 20th November
- Junior Girls’ football - Monday 20th November
- Y1/2 Football - Tuesday 21st November
- Y5/6 and Y3/4 Spanish - Tuesday 21st November
- Cooking - Tuesday 5th December - (Cooking club have extended and have contacted parents)
- Good News Club - Tuesday 21st November
- Junior Choir - Tuesday 19th December (NO CHOIR 12TH DECEMBER)
- Y2 Choir - Tuesday 12th December
- Judo - Wednesday 29th November
- Orchestra - Wednesday 29th November
- Gold recorders - Wednesday 29th November
- Bronze recorders - Wednesday 29th November
- Pop and Rock - Wednesday 29th November
- Y5/6 Football - Wednesday 29th November
- Junior Dance - Thursday 23rd November
- Handbells - Thursday 23rd November (Mrs Bond may do an extra one but will let the children know)
- Junior Drama - Thursday 23rd November
- Y3/4 Football - Thursday 23rd November
- Y5/6 Netball - Friday 24th November
Wider Community Updates
Action Theatre Christmas Fun Day
Action Theatre are running a Christmas Fun Day workshop on Sunday 10th December. Please see the attached flyer for more information.
Next Thing Education Christmas Camp
Next Thing Education will be running a Christmas Technology STEM Camp at Christ Church Junior site on 2-5th January. Their aim is to inspire, engage and empower the next generation of creators, coders and inventors. They have put together an action-packed Activity Schedule with something for every child, to not only excited for the festive period, but to extend their learning in a fun and unique way using the latest and greatest tech. All staff are DBS Checked and Qualified to run the best sessions in the safest environment. For more information check out their flyer attached, visit their website below or watch their video to see what to expect at camp. Their camps cater to ages 5-11. Spaces are limited, so don’t miss out and book online today.
This camp will also be offering HAF places for eligible children on FSM to attend the camp for free, which is funded by Kingston council. The booking system for HAF places goes live on Wednesday 22nd November.
For HAF bookings, they invite you to book via their online portal using this link: https://popsicle.app/parents/NextthingEducationCampsLtd-n2MJqxx/login and click on the SIGN UP button at the bottom of the page where is it says: ‘Don't have an account? Sign up’
You will need to add in your details and wait for your verification email from Popsicle. Once received, click on the link, and add your child’s details in and save them. Then in AFTERCARE CHRISTMAS CAMPS you can use the search bar to search for your school. Any problems, you can contact them on 01442 873150.
New Malden Town Centre Partnership - Christmas Party Invitation, Friday 24th November
New Malden Town Centre Partnership have sent us the attached flyer which provides details of the evening they have organised tonight from 4-8pm with street entertainment, face painting, live music, charity stalls, crafts and a wide array of fabulous food concessions.
Kingstonian CC - Winter Cricket Sessions
Kingstonian CC will be holding winter cricket sessions on Saturdays at Richard Challoner (Manor Drive North, New Malden KT3 5PE) starting Jan 13th and on Sundays at Shrewsbury House School (107 Ditton Rd, Surbiton KT6 6RL) starting Jan 14th. You can purchase the sessions via the club's Spond link. They are now using this instead of Team App and will be using this for the matches next season. Please see the attached flyer for more information.
Key School Dates
- Saturday 25th November - PTA Christmas Fair @ 1:00 - 4:00pm
- Monday 27th November - Friday 1st December – Wellbeing Week
- Monday 27th November - Y6 Choir singing at John Lewis @ 10:30am
- Thursday 30th November - Antelope Class Worship @ 2:45pm
- Monday 4th December - Y3 Greek Workshop (pm)
- Tuesday 5th December - Reception 'Try The Train' Trip to Waterloo
- Tuesday 5th December - Y2 Christmas Journey at Baptist Church at 11am
- Wednesday 6th December - ‘Giving the Gift of Reading’ evening workshop for parents
- Thursday 7th December - Handbells Group performing at Waitrose @ 9am
- Monday 11th – Friday 15th December – Chums Week
- Monday 11th December - Reception Trip to Waitrose and Methodist Church
- Tuesday 12th December - Junior Christmas Production @ 2pm and 6pm
- Wednesday 13th December - Christmas Jumper Day and Christmas Lunch
- Thursday 14th December - Reception Nativity @ 9am
- Thursday 14th December - Year 2/3 Choirs singing in Methodist Church @ 10am
- Friday 15th December - Housepoints Treat Day
- Tuesday 19th December - Church Service @ 9:45am
- Tuesday 19th December - Y4 Trip to the Rose Theatre to see Peter Pan @ 2pm
- Wednesday 20th December - Term finishes @ 1:05p.m. (infants), 1:20 p.m. (juniors) and Connect 5:15 p.m.
- Thursday 21st December - INSET Day (School closed to pupils)
- Friday 22nd December - Friday 5th January – Christmas Holiday
- Monday 8th January - INSET Day (School closed to pupils)
- Tuesday 9th January - Pupils return to school