Weekly Parent Update - Friday 1st December
The run up to Christmas is always full of music and last Monday, members of our junior choir entertained shoppers at John Lewis.
Weekly Update from Mr Burkinshaw
It was lovely to see so many parents at our fabulous Christmas Fair on Saturday. Huge thank you to everybody who came and spent, ran stalls, but most especially to the wonderful PTA who had been working tirelessly for weeks to make it the huge success it was. It is a real tribute to the PTA chairs, Cat Beston, Becks Reid, Glyn Hooper and all the committee that the fair was such a success. Now many of you will be wondering what the names of the bear and unicorn, displayed at the fair, were and who won them: The bear was named Santa by Leah in Turtle class, and the unicorn was named Bingo, won by former pupil Lottie, who is now in Year 11 at Coombe! If you are in the mood for winning something, don’t forget you can still enter the PTA raffle, which has some excellent prizes.
Next Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. in the junior hall, is our exciting evening for parents led by reading expert, Lindsay Pickton. Do come along to get some new ideas on promoting reading for pleasure with your child. Every parent who comes will be given a raffle ticket, and at the end of the event three lucky winners will receive a book token. If you need childcare during the event, there is a free movie night during the event. You do need to book in, using this form. For more information, please see the flyer.
The run up to Christmas is always full of music. Last Monday, members of our junior choir entertained shoppers at John Lewis and this coming week they are performing to the widows group at Christ Church. All the children are busy practising for their Christmas performances, the juniors for their Christmas production on Tuesday 12th, Reception for their nativity on Thursday 14th and Y1 and Y2 for the Christmas service on Tuesday 19th.
Yesterday, our Y5/6 footballers were in action in the Kingston and Richmond Boys Championship. Out of 16 teams, our determined team came second, losing in the cup to the largest primary school in the two boroughs. You can see photos of that, and much more in the November newsletter, which you can read here.
MISS CROOKE RECOMMENDS
This book, Little Glow by Katie Sahota, is a lovely EYFS/Year 1 book, ideal for infant children, about how we use light in different celebrations!
MR MEEHAN RECOMMENDS
Mel Taylor-Bessent, who visited our school last Christmas, has released another crazy Christmas novel about the Carroll family, guaranteed to get you feeling festive! This time, they are off to New York, where they discover ‘The Christmas Club’.
Our School Updates for Parents
Celebrating Difference Poster competition winners
Well done to all the children who entered the ‘Celebrating Difference’ poster competition. This week, the PLT, together with Mr Meehan and Mrs Brooks got together to judge the entries and winners and prizes will be announced next Monday! Thanks again to the PTA for sponsoring art prizes for this competition.
This year, each class is participating in ‘Reverse Advent’ which means that each day a child gives something to our Advent Calendar. We have decided to focus on bringing long-life food and other essential items that could then be donated to our local food bank (Kingston Food Bank). One bag of food feeds a family for one week, so every little helps! Next week, teachers will be telling children about how their class collection works, but if you want to be prepared, here is a list of items that can be donated, although any long-life food items can be given! All donations will be taken to the food bank on the last day of term. Thank you for your support.
Our Christmas Charities
Together with our Pupil Leadership Team, we have chosen our Christmas charities to support this year, as follows:
- Oxygen - local Christian charity supporting young people and their mental health
- Momentum Children’s Charity - regional charity supporting the work of families with children who have life-changing conditions or illnesses or cancer, working in partnership with local hospitals such as Kingston and Epsom
- Unicef - international children’s charity supporting children in areas of poverty and war
You may want to talk about these charities with your children, so they can make an informed choice of which one to support. We will be supporting these charities at our school gate on Christmas Jumper day on 13th December with buckets for each charity.
Last dates for clubs this term
Please note the only clubs with sessions still to take place this term are:
- Cooking - Tuesday 5th December - (Cooking club have extended and have contacted parents)
- Orchestra - Wednesday 6th December
- Y2 Choir - Tuesday 12th December
- Junior Choir - Tuesday 19th December (NO CHOIR 12TH DECEMBER)
- Handbells - Mrs Bond may do an extra one but will let the children know
Clubs for Spring term 2024
The timetable for clubs running next term is now available on our website.
- For externally run clubs, please follow the link on the timetable for details of how to book with them.
- For school led clubs, booking will be available from Monday 4th December at the times shown on the timetable. Places are limited for clubs and are on a first come, first served basis, and payment will confirm your child’s place. Unfortunately Arbor does not offer a waiting list facility like Parentmail did. If a club is showing as full, please email email@example.com to say you would like to go on a waiting list for the club.
- Infant dance is held at the Junior site and children are walked to the Infant site after the club.
- Recorders for next term has been split into three groups as follows:
- Bronze recorders - open to all children in years 3-6 (unless they have been invited to Silver or Gold). It is for children who are complete beginners or who have a little experience already.
- Silver recorders - invited children only.
- Gold recorders - invited children only.
- Orchestra - your child should speak to Mrs Bond first if they would like to join the orchestra so she can discuss with them the instrument they play and how long they have played.
Please note that even if your child attended one of the clubs this term, you will need to book again as clubs are termly.
School Photographs - Christmas Order Deadlines
Following Pret-a-Portrait’s visit this term, they have announced their Christmas Order Deadlines. Please see the attached to view the deadlines for each product. If you have not yet placed your order and would like to, please head to their website www.pret-a-portrait.net and enter your sitting ID. If you’ve misplaced your sitting ID, please contact Pret-a-Portrait directly on 0800 021 7626 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
MHST: Helping children with challenging behaviours webinar
Children often communicate their needs through their behaviours. The ‘Helping Children with challenging behaviours’ webinar will help you to learn about the different factors that can impact children's behaviours, build or strengthen positive relationships by reinforcing the importance of giving positive attention. You will also learn strategies to establish home rules and boundaries to create a safe and structured environment for your child/ren. Please click on the link to sign up for a place: 6th & 8th December MHST Workshop: Helping Children with challenging behaviour Sign up Form
Please also see the attached flyer for more information.
Wider Community Updates
St John’s Christmas Fair - Saturday 9th December
Please see the attached flyer for details of St John’s Christmas Fair, next Saturday 9th December, where there will be a range of free things to do including Christmas craft making stalls.
Discoverers Christmas Crafternoon
Discoverers is offering a free drop-in event to celebrate the holidays on Sunday 10th December at Pembroke Lodge, Richmond Park. Please see the attached flyer for more information.
Key School Dates
- Monday 4th December - Y3 Greek Workshop (pm)
- Tuesday 5th December - Reception 'Try The Train' Trip to Waterloo
- Tuesday 5th December - Y2 Christmas Journey at Baptist Church at 11am
- Wednesday 6th December - ‘Giving the Gift of Reading’ evening workshop for parents
- Thursday 7th December - Handbells Group performing at Waitrose @ 9am
- Monday 11th – Friday 15th December – Chums Week
- Monday 11th December - Reception Trip to Waitrose and Methodist Church
- Tuesday 12th December - Junior Christmas Production @ 2pm and 6pm
- Wednesday 13th December - Christmas Jumper Day and Christmas Lunch
- Thursday 14th December - Reception Nativity @ 9am
- Thursday 14th December - Year 2/3 Choirs singing in Methodist Church @ 10am
- Friday 15th December - Housepoints Treat Day
- Friday 15th December - Y6 Donut Sale after school at both sites
- Tuesday 19th December - Church Service @ 9:45am
- Tuesday 19th December - Y4 Trip to the Rose Theatre to see Peter Pan @ 2pm
- Wednesday 20th December - Term finishes @ 1:05p.m. (infants), 1:20 p.m. (juniors) and Connect 5:15 p.m.
- Thursday 21st December - INSET Day (School closed to pupils)
- Friday 22nd December - Friday 5th January – Christmas Holiday
- Monday 8th January - INSET Day (School closed to pupils)
- Tuesday 9th January - Pupils return to school