Weekly Parent Update - Friday 2nd February
Whether it is our infant and junior choirs, our Y3 ukulele players, our junior handbells or orchestra it is wonderful to see the variety of musical opportunities the children have.
Weekly Update from Mr Burkinshaw
We love music at Christ Church! Whether it is our infant and junior choirs, our Y3 ukulele players, our junior handbells or orchestra it is wonderful to see the variety of musical opportunities the children have. Yesterday, the junior children were visited by the Director of Music of All Saints’ Church, Kingston. He was impressed by the children’s enthusiastic singing as he taught them some new songs in the afternoon.
Two weeks ago today, I encouraged the children to develop an attitude of gratitude, explaining that research shows that if we do, we will be happier and healthier. The two things I suggested the children do were:
- Notice the good things - at the end of each day think of three things that they are thankful for - perhaps a new bedtime routine.
- Express Gratitude - saying thank you when someone does something nice.
Obviously, these habits are not just for children and, if children see adults modelling them, they are more likely to adopt them. The example I gave the children with regard to practising gratitude was saying thank you to the person who makes our evening meal - maybe you have noticed a difference!
I know many of us older parents are glad that we grew up in a world without the internet and social media, but our children do not and it is our job together to help them navigate it. Next Tuesday is Safer Internet Day, and our focus is helping children navigate the internet - that it should be a safe place to visit. Our website does have helpful advice and links for parents about how we can keep children safe online.
We look forward to seeing parents at next week’s parents’ consultations. Do remember that you will also have an opportunity to visit your child’s class with them at our Learning Look after school on Thursday 21st March. This is a wonderful opportunity for your child to show you their books and talk about what they have been learning, and you can also talk to the class teacher.
It has been an exciting start to the year with trips and workshops, as well as some class worships. You can read all about it, and more, in this month’s newsletter.
MRS BROOKS RECOMMENDS
Super Gran by Forrest Wilson
One for grandparents? This is a very funny book to read with your child - what amazing skills a granny develops when hit by an x-ray, and uses them to help her favourite grandchild and his best friend right the wrongs of their town.
Our School Updates for Parents
Parents Evening and Learning Look reminders
Please see below the timings for our online parents’ evenings on 7th and 8th February:
- Wednesday 7th February - 3:45 - 6:45 pm
- Thursday 8th February - 2:45 - 5:45 pm
Please remember to book your appointment on SchoolCloud if you haven’t already done so.
Please note, in order to accommodate the earlier start of Parents' Evening on Thursday 8th, school will close 1 hour earlier than usual at the following times:
- Infants @ 2:05 p.m.
- Juniors @ 2:20 p.m.
- Connect will start early @ 2:05 p.m. and run until the usual time of 6:15 p.m.
- Junior Drama club and Y3&4 Football club will both run from 2:20 p.m.
Like last term, as well as next week’s parents’ evening, we are also providing an ‘in-person’ opportunity for the children to show off their learning, when you are invited into their classrooms and to look at work in their books. This will be on Thursday 21st March between 4.30pm - 5.30pm. Please note that this begins strictly at 4.30pm and we cannot accommodate entrance into classrooms before this time. We know the children will enjoy showing you their learning!
Friday 9th February - Break the Rules Day!
A favourite day amongst the children as for one day only they can break some *rules! Pay a 50p ‘fine’ for every *rule broken. Please see the attached poster for a list of all the rules that can be broken. PTA volunteers will be at the doors of both sites with buckets to collect the fines. A note for Year 6 parents: There will be a separate bucket for all the Year 6 monies, so do tell your Year 6 child to look out for this as this collection will go towards their Year 6 fundraising!
Arrival time at the junior site
Just a reminder that our start time at the junior school is 8.45am. We have staff on duty from 8.40am, when the outer gates open, but children should not be dropped off in this area, and therefore unaccompanied and unsupervised, before this time. Thank you for your cooperation with this.
Any Spare Comfy Chairs?
We are looking to increase the areas we can read/work with children outside of classrooms, to create some more reading corners and nooks across the junior site. If your workplace is updating or letting go of any chairs similar to the ones in this photo, please let us know; these type of chairs are ones we are particularly interested in sourcing.
Wider Community Updates
Parents' Survey on Wraparound Care
Due to a low response, we have been asked by Achieving for Children to reshare this link and QR code to a survey for parents and carers to complete on the increase in wraparound childcare provisions, to support their planning for September 2024. Please could you take a few minutes to complete this survey.
Action Theatre Club - Holiday Workshops
Free Birdwatching Event - Monday 12th February
Discoverers-Friends of Richmond Park are holding a FREE, drop-in, half-term event for families on Monday 12th February to teach the basics and let the children make a bird treat to take home. Please see the attached flyer for details.
February Half Term Hockey Camp
The Old Kingstonian HC is a small, family orientated hockey club. This February half term they are offering a two day hockey camp for children in school years three to nine on February 13th & 14th. Please see the attached flyer for details.
My First Club Baby and Toddler Sensory Playgroup
We have been asked to make parents/carers aware of ‘My First Club Baby and Toddler Sensory playgroup’, scheduled to commence on 21st February at local church halls. Recognizing the community's need for enhanced support for parents and caregivers in connecting and engaging with their children from the very beginning of their learning journey, they have tailored the My First Club sessions to focus on the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) development (Birth to three) matters. Each week, children can explore different themed play stations, fostering connections with their caregivers, socialising with other children, and stimulating their senses and imaginations to enhance holistic development. Please see the attached flyer for more details.
Key School Dates
- Monday 5th - Friday 9th February - Chums Week
- Tuesday 6th February - Safer Internet Day
- Tuesday 6th February - Y6 Junior Citizen 2024 @ Chessington WOA
- Tuesday 6th February - Y5 Viking Workshop (pm)
- Wednesday 7th February - Parents’ Evening @ 3:45pm - 6:45pm
- Thursday 8th February - Parents’ Evening @ 2:45pm - 5:45pm (School closes 1 hour early)
- Friday 9th February - PTA Break the Rules Day
- Monday 12th - Friday 16th February - Half term
- Tuesday 20th February - Nursery Tour for Prospective Parents @ 9:30am
- Thursday 22nd February - Y2 Brightsparks Concert @ Royal Festival Hall
- Thursday 22nd February - Y6 Trip to Kew Gardens
- Monday 26th February - Y4 Trip to Natural History Museum
- Thursday 29th February - Lion Class Worship @ 2:45pm
- Thursday 7th March - World Book Day
- Thursday 7th March - Tiger Class Worship @ 2:45pm
- Monday 11th - Friday 15th March - World Week & Wellbeing Week
- Tuesday 12th March - Paralympic Athlete Visit
- Wednesday 13th March - Y1 Zoolabs Workshop
- Wednesday 13th March - Y5 Easter Experience at the Baptist Church
- Thursday 14th March - Owl Class Worship @ 2:45pm
- Thursday 14th March - Earthsong Workshops (Juniors)
- Friday 15th March - Earthsong Workshops (Junior site for Infants)
- Monday 18th - Friday 22nd March - Chums Week
- Tuesday 19th March - Reception & Y6 - National Child Measurement Programme
- Thursday 21st March - Y3 Trip to Butser Farm
- Thursday 21st March - Hedgehog Class Worship @ 2:45pm
- Thursday 21st March - Learning Look @ 4:30-5:30pm
- Friday 22nd March - Spring showcase for orchestra, recorders and bells @ 9am
- Tuesday 26th March - Year 5/6 choir at Cluster Concert in the Rose Theatre (pm)
- Wednesday 27th March - Infant Easter Bonnet Parade
- Thursday 28th March - Church Service @ 9:45am
- Thursday 28th March - Term finishes early at 1.05pm (infants) and 1.20pm (juniors). Connect will finish at 5:15pm
- Monday 15th April - Summer term starts