Weekly Bulletin - Friday 4th March
Yesterday, as part of World Book Day, children enjoyed being 'fit to read', in a sponsored readathon.
This week (on Thursday) we had the first day where every junior child was in school since the start of the pandemic. What a landmark that felt to be! We also enjoyed being ‘fit to read’ and even Eddie, the school dog, wore his PE T shirt, leg warmers and a whistle! It is great to have such a buzz about reading, and each week children are keen to share more and more recommendations.
We are pleased to share with you the first of our new look newsletters, Christ Church Celebrations. It is full of photos of what was happening at school in February. We hope you enjoy it.
We have also been able to embark upon more planning and are delighted to announce that we will be able to hold our Easter Service in person once more at the church. Do keep the morning of 1st April free in your diary.
Feedback from Parent Representatives’ Meeting
This afternoon we held our Spring term Parent Representatives’ meeting. Do see the answers to the points you and other parents raised in the document sent out via ParentMail.
One point was the desire to see more clubs. We are reintroducing Girls’ Football after Easter and we would love to offer netball. However, we have been unsuccessful in sourcing a coach to date. If you have any contacts, please let Heather Brown in the Junior Office know.
You will also see that there have been several meetings to consider the best ways of maximising the use of the Junior Playing Field. As you will be aware, it has been quite complex to find a cost effective way forward, but there is lots of energy and enthusiasm for doing so. We are currently investigating the possibility of enhancing a section of the field for sports (improving drainage and reseeding) to extend the number of months for which it can be used, and rewilding other areas and or introducing an outdoor classroom.
As a school community, we have decided to support the crisis in Ukraine as part of our lent project of Courageous Advocacy. We have chosen two charities: 'Voices of Children', who directly support the psychological impact that war has on children in Ukraine, and Unicef who support all children and our journey to becoming a Rights Respecting School. The children in our school are very keen to help these children who they know must be suffering. They understand that all children have rights and these are not being met due to the war that is ongoing. Therefore we have chosen to raise money for these charities by completing a 'fun run' on Friday 25th March. Each class at the Juniors will run up and down The Cut during the morning. Infant classes will run around the Infant astroturf. Families are welcome to come and support, or even join in! We will ask for each child to donate £1 to join us, but there will be opportunities to donate extra on the day! The children will need to be in their school PE kit or wear yellow and blue.
Sponsored Readathon - Sponsorship Forms
Please remember to complete and return the sponsorship forms by next Friday, 11th March - we will need them so that the charity can claim GiftAid. If you have yet to make the payment, please do so in person or online.
Thank you to all parents who responded to last week’s survey, asking whether parents would prefer parents’ evening to be virtual or face to face.
- Virtual 42%
- Face to Face 36%
- Don’t Mind 22%
We have decided to have one parents’ evening night face to face, and the other virtual:
- Wednesday 23rd March - 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Face to face in person
- Thursday 24th March 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. Virtual (Remember, school finishes an hour earlier on this day)
All appointments will need to be booked via the SchoolCloud online booking system and further details will be sent out next week.
Please note, we will not be sharing your child’s books at either parents’ evening, instead, you will be able to see them at the open afternoon on Thursday 31st March.
PTA Meeting - Monday 7th March at 8pm via Zoom
Our next PTA meeting will be this Monday at 8pm, when we will be planning exciting activities for the Summer Term. ALL are welcome to join us. Zoom details have been sent via ParentMail.
Second Hand Uniform Sales
We are holding second hand uniform sales after school on the following dates:
- Friday 11th March (next Friday) @ Infants from 3pm
- Friday 25th March @ Juniors from 3.15pm
We have lots of uniform available in a range of sizes so please bring along cash, we can also take card payments.
Kingston Police Youth Engagement Easter Allotment Project
Please see the attached flyer for details of the Met Police ‘Plant to Plate’ Easter holiday club which is a free club for pupils in Year 5 and 6. Due to the scheme’s success, spaces are very limited and are on a first come first served basis. To apply for a place, please complete the attached contact form and photo consent form to the email address provided.
Perform Drama - Easter Courses
Perform are running drama courses in Wimbledon for children aged 4 - 10 during the Easter holidays. Discover the secrets of an enchanted garden in their three day drama, dance and singing courses. Please see their website for more information and how to book.
Have a lovely weekend.
Key Dates - Spring 2022
- Wednesday 9th March - Y6 Junior Road Watch
- Wednesday 9th March - Hedgehog Class Trip to Shrek’s Adventure - 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
- Thursday 10th March - Y6 TfL STARS Safety & Citizenship Talk - 1:45 p.m. - 2:45 p.m.
- Friday 11th March - Infant PTA Second Hand Uniform Sale - 3.00 p.m.
- Monday 14th March - Y1 Zoolab Safari Workshops - 1:15 p.m. - 3:15 p.m.
- Tuesday 15th March - Y5 BMX Champion Visit
- Wednesday 16th March - Fox Class Trip to Shrek’s Adventure - 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
- Wednesday 16th March - Y6 BMX Champion Visit
- Friday 18th March - INSET Day (School closed)
- Monday 21st March - Y5 Easter Experience at the Baptist Church - 11:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
- Wednesday 23rd March - Parents’ Evening - 4:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
- Thursday 24th March - Parents’ Evening - 3:00 p.m. - 6:00. p.m (School closes 1 hour early)
- Friday 25th March - Charity Fun Run (am only)
- Friday 25th March - Junior PTA Second Hand Uniform Sale - 3:15 p.m.
- Saturday 26th March - PTA Easter Egg Hunt and Nature Afternoon - 2:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- Sunday 27th March - Junior Choir singing at St John’s - 10:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
- Thursday 31st March - Parents’ Open Afternoon
- Friday 1st April - Easter Church Service